Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Part of a Larger Pack

Large groups of dogs or people still trouble Rufus. A few times at the dog park, he'll get snarled at for trying to mount other dogs or simply put a paw on their backs, and although his instincts tell him to do these things, he doesn't get that he's "least respected dog" in most dog groups. We should have started taking him to the parks much sooner, but we didn't think about it until recently. Poor Rufus is our "test dog" and like a first child, all our mistakes will be made with him. But he's trying so hard now that he's got two other dogs at home. Mia is willing to let him be bossy and is making submissive overtures to him. I think this is good for his confidence. He's been a dream dog this morning, just perfect. For example, I noticed something paper-like in the back yard and went to have a look to see if it was a ripped out page from a magazine or something the crapheads two doors down threw into our yard. It was, in fact, a bit of tape from one of those lint-roller things. Before I could get to it, Rufus darted out and grabbed it, trying for a game of chase-me. I shrugged and went back into the house. (We only play chase-me with his toys or with sticks from the yard.) At once he followed me inside and dropped the tape on the floor at my feet. It's hard to describe, but he's just acting more mature today. And the girls don't seem to mind a bit if he wants to be boss. Mia's going to be a great fit wherever she finally winds up. She just goes with the flow.

I love watching Rufus grow up. I hope he can overcome our bad parenting. :)

.

No comments:

Post a Comment