Thursday, July 16, 2009

The Dog Whistler

We went to PetSmart to pick up a new Kong red rubber ball to replace the one that Tim lost via a mighty throw over the play yard wall, and while we were there, we picked up a dog whistle. The purpose of this whistle is to get the attention of Rufus, who has taken to barking at cats, possums, other dogs, leaves, stars, and air molecules at night. Calling to him (or if I'm really tired, snapping at him, which I know is the wrong thing to do) often does not have the desired effect, or any effect at all on him. In the middle of a good bark, he just doesn't care to "notice" mom or dad hissing at him to shut up and get in the house. Thus, we bought a dog whistle.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but dog whistles are supposed to be silent to humans. They are also supposed to be adjustable, but this damn thing makes one sound, and it's just a whistle. Either we were gypped, or I'm part dog. The end unscrews but it doesn't change the pitch much. The middle ring doesn' t move at all. Now, Rufus definitely reacts to it, but so will our neighbors if I toot it in the night to get the dog to stop barking. It's not silent. I was lied to. Or maybe I'm supposed to blow into it really really hard. I would try that, but it's just after 1 a.m. I guess if Rufus' barking has already woken the neighbors up, a shrill whistle isn't going to make much difference. At least to the other humans. With my luck, it'll just get every other dog on the block going, which is half of what our dog barks at anyway.
Stupid whistle.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment